Every month Times subscribers can download a free ebook. This month is The Number Mysteries by Marcus du Sautoy.
The Number Mysteries, by one of Britain’s leading mathematicians, is a fascinating book on five mathematical problems that just refuse to be solved – and on how many everyday problems can be solved by maths.
Every time we take a flight across the Atlantic or talk on our mobile phones, we are relying on great mathematical inventions. Maths may fail to provide answers to various of its own problems, but it can provide answers to problems that don't seem to be its own – how prime numbers are the key to football teams’ successes, to secrets on the Internet and to the survival of insects in the forests of North America.
Marcus du Sautoy explains how to work out whether or not the universe has a hole in the middle of it; how to make the world's roundest football, and shows us how to see shapes in four dimensions – and how maths makes you a better gambler. He tells us about the quest to predict the future – from the flight of asteroids to an impending storm, from bending a ball like Beckham to predicting population growth.
It's a book to dip in to; a book to challenge and puzzle – and a book that gives us answers.
His latest book, What We Cannot Know, was chosen as one of The Sunday Times' best science books of 2016. It leads us on a thought-provoking expedition to the furthest reaches of modern science.
We have partnered with Amazon Kindle to supply you with our free monthly eBooks. You can now read this on your Kindle or download the Kindle app to access these books via Apple, Android devices, your computer and more. To see the full list of devices you can read this free download on, click here.
If you experience any issues downloading your eBook, please consult Amazon's help and customer service here.
To download the eBook, click on 'download' in the information box and follow the download instructions.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the download button.
1. Each promotional code provided may be used once and may only be redeemed against the Qualifying Item on or before 11:59 pm on March 31, 2016 ("End Date").
2. This offer may be changed or withdrawn without notice by Amazon Media EU Sarl.
3. This offer has no cash alternative and is not for resale.
4. You must enable 1-Click purchasing and complete your purchase of a Qualifying Item during the Promotional Period in order to receive it for free.
5. Offer only applies to selected Kindle books purchased at Amazon.co.uk. It does not apply to Kindle books purchased from any other website.
6. This promotion is only available to Amazon.co.uk customers located in the UK. Any customer attempting to purchase Kindle eBook downloads from outside the UK will receive an error message. Please note customers located in the UK but attempting to purchase Kindle eBook downloads from a computer with a non-UK IP address will not be able to complete the transaction.
8. The promoter of this promotion is The Times. Participation is subject to the promoter’s terms and conditions for this promotion.